Monday, September 13, 2010

Welcome

Hello Readers,


My names Arielle Francis and I'm a Pescatarian, meaning I don't eat any type of meat I only eat fish. At age 14 I became a pescatarian from a bet my brother made with me stating that if I can go a week without eating any type of meat he would give me money. So within that week I ate nothing but fish, I almost caved but I stopped myself mid ordering at a restaurant and us ordered a salad. After the week had passed I told my brother to keep his money because after not eating meat for  that whole week I felt a great amount of energy and felt better about myself. I was less tired and I felt my body now getting adjusted to my new lifestyle, I haven't eaten meat in almost 4 years and I'm most likely going to keep going with my diet.


It is a healthy route but then again some problems can occur. Since I don't eat any type of meat I do lack in things such as iron which is what normal meat eaters obtain regularly. I have to take supplemental pills that are found wherever, CVS, Rite Aid, etc. I get my pills from the vitamin shoppe or my doctor prescribes them to me because she feels if i need more of a nutriment she can prescribe a better or higher dosage of what I need. And not everyone is going to get used to taking pills, some of them stink really bad and taste horrible but if your going to be a vegan, pescatarian, vegetarian then these are the things you have to get used to and repeat to yourself that is for a resason. 


I don't shop at regular super markets I go into fish markets for my food because they have more of  what I need and a bigger variety of fish than an Associated, C-town, Walbaums etc. I don't only eat fish I also eat enough fruits and veggies to get me going through the day. I also eat a lot of carbs such as rice, bread and pasta. My parents don't cook for me anymore because to them I've become a brat about how i want my food to be cooked and to be kept away from any meat products. I  cook for myself daily, I go shop for my own groceries daily so I can get fresh fish, just because to me it taste better. And because it does come from a fish market and is fresh I can see the person who's preparing my soon to be dinner before I actually cook it, also I can tell the person to take the bones out for me. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice story... it's surprising how you just wanted to stop eating meat for a week and endend up actually not eating it for good, I imagine it must be troublesome for you to live in a house where you are the only one who doesn't eat red meat. But how does your brother feel about this, knowing that he was the one who, in a way, lead you to beign pescatarian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I have a similar story except I was a vegetarian not a pescatarian. I was a vegetarian for about 6 months and I got really sick and became anemic and would have really bad headaches everyday. I was I did what you did and asked my doctor about pills that I would be able to take. I regret starting to eat meat again but my parents got annoyed and angry and thought I was a brat also because I would be really picky about my food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Arielle, thats pretty intense! I have a couple friends who are die hard vegans and I always find myself questioning them. I never thought abstaining from meats and poultry would be means to making you feel better. I've told my dad jokingly that I'm going to be a vegan and he had the same reaction, telling me I better be ready to start cooking and buying my own foods. I know you said your parents think your a brat when it comes to the way you like your food, but do you think they are happy with your lifestyle choice? My grandma would defiantly cry if she couldn't stuff my face with all the food she cooks! I might have overlooked it but you can also get a lot of nutrients and vitamins from nuts, I say this because at my job we sell almost every type of nut you can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Arielle,

    I respect your food choices, I don't know anyone who dosen't eat meat. But i know how giving up food feels, I fast for a month every year, that means i don't eat from sunrise to sundown. I lost at least 5 pounds from fasting this year, so i'm gain back that weight cause i'm really skinny. But i can relate.

    ReplyDelete